These are the things I like to find in a good romance novel. Take a look and see how they compare to YOUR top ten:
- A sexy hero
- A heroine I can relate to. Of course she’s pretty, but she’s not aggravatingly perfect (like the head girl at my old school, or the person my mother-in-law wishes her son had married instead of me).
- A first meeting that makes me smile, and characters that make me laugh.
- A gorgeous kiss scene. A first kiss I can almost feel. Oh yeah!
- A great story. They don’t just meet and live happily ever after. I want drama.
- A love scene. Not just a sex scene. A love scene.
- A surprise twist – keep that story coming.
- A reason to keep fighting for each other, even when all seems lost.
- A clever solution. Clever, yes, completely implausible, no.
- A happy ending. No miserable poetic partings for me, thanks. I want the couple to sort out their troubles and throw themselves into each other's arms. Any tears shed should be tears of happiness or sheer relief.
How did I do? Did I miss anything? I’d love to hear your ideas and comments.
By the way - check out the FIVE HEART review I just got, over at Reading Romances.