Tuesday, June 7, 2011

June 6 - Anniversary of the Normandy Landings

D Day has special significance for me. It is the reason and the inspiration behind the first 'real' novel I ever wrote: American Smile. I wrote it in three months, writing flat out six or seven hours a day and editing what I had written at night. I loved that book - it is still the book of my heart. It's the story of a girl searching for the truth about her ancestry - with the help of an American aircraft mechanic who already knows (at least part of) the answer.
      Emma Rowland finds out her mother was adopted during world war two - which puts a different spin on her 'English' heritage. She realizes that everything she thought she knew about herself was wrong. She sets out to find out who her grandparents really were. She meets shy but sexy Tyler at a dance and he agrees to help her find out what happened and why it has all been hidden for so long. The trail leads to a sharp-tongued girl from the East End of London and a handsome young soldier known only as 'Joe'.
     As they uncover what happened to Joe and Vera more than sixty-five years ago, Emma and Tyler find that they too are are falling in love. Without giving too much away - Tyler is hiding two things: the secret he already knows about Emma's family tree, and the fact that he knows a lot more about airplanes than he does about women!

      I decided to call the book 'American Smile' because of a chance remark that was made to me once at a party (which inspired the incident in the opening chapter, yes). A guy told me I had an American smile, and I didn't have the first idea what he meant, since I was born in England. Since then, I discovered that my own grandfather was involved in the D-Day landings and never returned. I can't tell you his name, but I think of him as 'Joe'. If, like Emma, I ever get the chance to go to Normandy and visit the graves of the fallen - I shall lay my flowers on the grave of the unknown soldiers. 
     I wrote American Smile for the anniversary of D-Day, and I've just made it available on kindle for 99c. There's a print version that you can buy on Amazon, too. The story is fictional, but it is based on a whole lot of historical research and inspired by a true story. I hope you enjoy reading it as much as I enjoyed writing it.

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on the new book! I'll have to add it to my wish list. Found you on the Mom Bloggers Club website and am now following you on GFC. I hope you can follow back also; I'd appreciate it so much ;-) Have a lovely Wedenesday!

    ~Avalon, http://avalon-lion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment.
    Just had four requests from book bloggers wanting to review American Smile. Yay! I need all the reviews I can get - the feedback is always very useful.

    ReplyDelete