Wednesday, June 15, 2011

What the reviewers are saying ...


I’m so thrilled with the reviews I’ve been getting for SCANDAL AT THE FARMHOUSE that I decided to indulge myself and give you some of the best bits. To read the full text – just click on the links.

This SWEET, sweet story captivated me …. I probably should let you know that I read it on one sitting, why would I stop?? I challenge you!

‘Ms. Young does an outstanding job of telling the story of young Clara's complex life - in a time where women are seen as property that can be bartered over like livestock.’

‘Cody is an excellent writer. Not once did she remove me from the story with non-period language or convoluted sentence structure. Her tempo is well paced for a novella, something I admired immediately. Her understanding of Regency Romance is excellent. Her lovers, Clara and Ned, are delightful and the story is lively.’

'this novella is fast paced and great for an evening treat.’

'This is a super fast read - I started and finished it last night as “before I fall asleep” reading, it was just that quick.  The characters are oddly adorable (I know, it’s a crazy descriptor, but they are!!!!), and it was really easy to identify with Clara – who would want to be married to a stodgy old man and be immediately ripped away from the only family and life she’s ever known?  I mean really, come on now.  This is a wonderful romance story, and definitely not trashy reading.  Great characters and a fast paced plot – if you’re into those things, you should really get your hands on this book!’

Of course – not everyone loved it. One reviewer couldn’t get into it, hated the heroine, and described it as ‘a tale of lust’. This surprised me, because although Scandal at the Farmhouse has a pretty steamy sex scene, it is deeply romantic. But I’ve come to realise that to be a published writer you need to develop an objective attitude and a hide like a rhino, and just to show you that I’m not afraid of a less than glowing review, here’s the link. It goes to show that you have just seconds to grab the readers attention with your opening lines – so thanks to that reviewer I am studying that aspect of the writer’s craft harder than ever. Blog post on that coming soon!
Watch out too for my 'LOVE CONQUERS ALL' post that I'm working on right now.

8 comments:

  1. Ooo - that is really brave of you Cody! But the good far outweighed the bad which tells you somthing. And if we all liked the same thing, life would be pretty bland. Looking forward to your next post about the experience!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful reviews! :) As for the lusty-tale reviewer - there's always someone who will complain about something, regardless of how good it is. I think it's safe to say that the majority of readers are really enjoying Scandal at the Farmhouse!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys, I decided to include the last review because many of the people who follow this blog are writers and I've found that they want to hear about the highs and the lows of working in this industry, and to get ideas about how to overcome them. Besides, 'a tale of lust' sounds quite enticing - if not completely representative of my style!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Cody, your book looks like a great read, if you ever want a read/review done, I would gladly do that for you. :)
    Please stop by my blog anytime would love for you to visit.
    Natalie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Natalie - I'm always looking for reviewers. Book bloggers are a author's best friend, and I always learn something from the feedback. I will hop over to your blog and be in touch. Many thanks for the comment.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Cody, Im looking forward to it, thanks for following my blog :)
    Natalie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Cody,
    I read from your link the 'bad' review. lol
    I would not consider it as bad, sounds like it just wasn't her cup of tea. In fact I thought it was an honest review and gave an idea of the story instead of just saying 'I liked the book' which says not much about the story line. I often read the negative reviews first then the good ones. Makes it faster to tell if I want to read it or not. So consider those bad reviews as pluses. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Jennie. I'm realizing how really important for a writer to find out what people like and don't like in a story and to really listen to the critics. Many thanks for your comment.

    ReplyDelete