Sunday, September 18, 2011

Baring My Bookshelves to the World

Hi guys,
Ever wondered what an author's bookshelves look like?  Here's a chance to have a peek at mine. This is, can you believe, a 'reduced' collection, because we had a major house fire last year and had to throw out quantities of smoke damaged books (if you want to know more about that, see my other blog post 'Courage Under Fire').


As you can see, I'm one of those people who loves 'real books' and yet I'm embracing the e-revolution whole-heartedly. I got my e-reader LAST Christmas and it has opened up a whole new world for me. I also read a lot of books on Kindle for PC - the free application that anyone can install on their computer. How often these days do you find yourself explaining to someone how they can get hold of an e-book - instead of how to find a great bookshop?
As an author, I am finding that most of my royalties now come from my e-book sales - although I'm still keen to have everything I've written released in print, because I still get lots of emails from people who like print books best. I can well believe the predictions that most books sold will soon be e-books though.




At the moment, only my full-length novel American Smile, is available in print, soon to be joined by the first book in my time travel trilogy, Johnny Doesn't Drink Champagne - which will be released in all formats. In 2012, a lush new story will appear. The title will be RAF HERO and it's about a handsome young pilot and a nineteen year old Irish girl with a guilty secret. They meet in a bombing raid in London in 1941, and he saves her when she doesn't want to be saved. Can't wait to share it with you! Meanwhile, I shall be writing ... fast!



7 comments:

  1. I love the mix of different books on your shelves and envy you the library steps – I use a plastic fold out step – not the same thing at all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh,how brave - you put Twilight right out where anybody can see!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys. My library steps are great, I love them, even though my husband points out that he is tall enough to reach the top shelf for me easily. Re: Twilight - I know, I know. There are lots of embarrassing books on my shelves. What about 'Madness and the Family' (every home should have one) and The Timber Baron's Virgin Bride'?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice bookshelves, Cody. Wish I had room in my house for that many. I too have the hardback Twilight series taking up room on shelves. lol Recently I got rid of some embarassing books, but Twilight stays. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad I'm not the only one, Ranae. Actually, I had a feeling I might not be!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your book shelves. How exciting to have so many books you get to store! I don't have that much space! I am jealous!

    ~Jess
    http://thesecretdmsfilesoffairdaymorrow.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looking forward to your new RAF hero novel. :)

    ReplyDelete