Monday, April 2, 2012

Finding the Useful Bits

There's is a lot going on behind the scenes with historical fiction. You have to do hours and hours of research and then you have to leave most of it out because you only want the good bits. IMHO historical fiction needs just enough history to spike your interest and no more, otherwise you tend to get sleepy. At the moment I'm writing the sequel to Johnny Doesn't Drink Champagne - which will be set during the French Revolution. Researching this novel has been great fun, so let me show you some of the stuff I've been looking at:- One of the characters who will appear (in fictional form) is the painter Jacques-Louis David who later went on to paint this
I'm reading everything I can about the Sans Culottes and 'Liberty, Equality and Fraternity'. And I'm reading Baroness Orczy's classic adventure story 'The Scarlet Pimpernel'. I'm also having a lot of fun visiting Chateaux on the Loire and vineyards in the Champagne region - the only drawback being that I can't taste the wine from this distance. At least I now know what Johnny's wine cellar would have looked like - and his bedroom - should he ever want to take a vampire-nap.
I'm checking out sites like this one, for inspiration for Maddie's dress for the ball at Versailles. Plus there are some great eighteenth century cartoons showing what NOT to wear - from an era when the answer to the angst-ridden question 'does my bum look big in this?' was meant to be YES.

No comments:

Post a Comment